Monday, November 1, 2010

I failed sewing 101 with Satin's sewing machine

Halloween, the one legitimate time of year when I can dress up as a crayon. It should have been easy.

This was my plan of attack:
1. buy fabric, thread, elastic, black paint, and ribbon.
2. borrow mom's sewing machine.
3. on the day of halloween (b/c that was the first day that I wasn't busy) turn on sewing machine
4. thread the sewing machine
5. sew three straight lines of:
     a. elastic at the top of the dress
     b. sew elastic at the waste of the dress
     c. sew up the back of the dress
6. Paint the word "Crayola" on the front and also paint squiggly lines to make it cohesive to the look of the oh so beloved crayola crayons

Easy enough right?
Well, I bought the fabric, and borrowed the sewing machine....


 It took me over an hour to get the bobbin to thread....

Then I fought the machine for over 3 hours to get the tension right....

                                                              I almost threw mom's sewing machine, but I knew she wouldn't like that.

So, here's what went down. I unplugged satin's sewing machine and just painted the outfits for the crayon box. The boys' shirts were easy, paint, dry, go. Sam and I ended up just tying the fabric around us, tying the loose edges together with polka dot ribbon.... it worked out in the end.



 These are the outfits drying.



The results will be posted soon.

p.s. I'm never sewing again with satin's sewing machine. I will pay hundreds of dollars for pre-made crappy costumes in the future instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment