Monday, November 8, 2010

Road Trip for Simon and Amy's reception

So, one of my best friends from college, Simon, got married 2 weeks ago in Indiana. He married an amazing girl named Amy from Indiana. I've only been around her a few times because she does live so far away, but from what I've seen, she's quite perfect for Si. They had a wedding there, so there was a second reception back home for us in Illinois.  It was in Fairbury (close-ish to Bloomington), and Steven and I drove close to 3 hours to get there from Colchester. The road trip was completely worth it though.

Simon came up to say hi to me by dancing in his usual way and asking me if I missed him yelling at me all the time. It was quite humorous. I lived with Simon our junior year at Western with another friend we called Moo. Si and I went to ICC together, had a bunch of classes together, and we also were teammates on the Carcass evaluation team there. So we had a lot of traveling time together under our belts whether it was driving to practice at U of I every week or driving or flying to Texas or Kansas for another competition that we were bound to lose, we were together a lot. You learn a lot about people in an ICC van. :) 

This is part of the Carcass Eval team
Si, me, Andrew, Amanda, and Moo is missing

So, when Si and I lived together, he liked to randomly dance a lot, and he constantly yelled "Mom!" (which was my horrible carcass evaluation team nickname) or he liked to call me Leprechaun a lot because of my red-headed ways.  He's always entertaining and is a great friend.
Si and me at Hairbangers Ball junior year

I haven't seen Simon since before graduation this spring, partially because I was in Hawai'i, other reasons are distance, time, school, work, etc.  We also both don't really care to talk on the phone much, so we're bad at calling. Another friend of ours who came was Rachel and her fiance Jeremy. Rachel is still at Western finishing up her Ag. Ed. degree, but I don't get to see her much either because she commutes and we're both crazy busy. Grad school gets jealous if I try to have a social life.

Grad school is a homewrecker... just to let you know.

It was beyond great seeing my friends again. Rachel and I just sat around catching up on life's latest adventures. I got to talk to Simon a few times, catching up a little, but he had other family and friends to talk to too.  When I went to tell him bye, I got about 5 hugs, we kept telling each other how we missed seeing each other, this made me sad. On the ride home, I kept thinking how I missed my people, and that I'm horrible at keeping in touch. With this weekend, I realized that I need to work on keeping up with my friends because I suck at it. I get caught up in the everyday crap.

Anyways, the moral of the story is keep in contact with good friends.

Me, Si, and Rachel at the reception.

It was a long drive, well ride, because Steven was awesome and drove the entire time, but it was entirely worth it.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment