Monday, March 19, 2012

What's the biggest thing you've been hit by?

First, I must give Katie credit for the title of this blog. I find its origin hilarious and it will be explained soon.

So spring break was last week, but it didn't feel like much of a break. But when does a break feel like a break? It should really be called "that week that class is cancelled so you can run errands, go to Peoria 3 times in 3 days to pick out bridesmaid dresses, catch up on grading, clean your apartment that's been oh so neglected all semester, run more errands, do laundry, and catch up on sleep." I think that's way more accurate, but also a little long for my taste.  It would take quite the movement to change the name too.  Its not worth the effort, so I'll keep calling it break, but regrettably so.

Spring break started with an ending. While all the students went home, I had class. I took a weekend academy class this semester, so on Friday from 5:00-10:00 and Saturday from 9:00-6:00 I had class. Luckily we got out early both days!! It was because it was the last weekend though.  So, that class ended, then I slept and lounged around Sunday, caught up on grades Monday, and left for home Tuesday. 

Steven and I hauled a planter home to my dad on Tuesday. We were supposed to leave at 7:00am, but didn't really leave until 8:30. One could assume that I slept in, but no, I was ready around 7:00. There was heavy fog. Really wide planter + heavy fog = no road time til it cleared off.  So we left around 8:30 at a top speed of 25/30 mph with 120 miles of road ahead of us. We knew we were in for the long haul so I began the trip announcing that I prepared a series of short stories to tell Steven as he drove.  He was actually quite disappointed when he found out that I was full of shit and no stories.   So I texted this to Katie this story because I thought it was hilarious. Katie, being the youth leader that she is, instantly replied with several prompt questions for conversation.  An example would be the title of this post.  This question originated from the following story.

As Steven and I were driving, passerby's came and went, we went over bridges, under viaducts, passed semis etc. One particular tandem truck, though, caused us a bit of drama.  You see, when tandem truck drivers aren't paying attention to the fact that a large planter is coming towards them and they don't move over a little bit, the tandem truck will hit said planter. I will give the truck driver credit for being in his lane, but he did not get over at all for us. We were already driving on the shoulder and didn't have room to get over any more.  When a tandem truck hits a planter, who would you place your bet on? I would normally have bet the tandem, but not in this case.  Although the planter was damaged, I think that the tandem truck got the worst of it.  There were planter parts everywhere and bent metal and tire rims. For the tandem truck, he had a nice slice down the fender, a broken windshield, a GIANT hole in the truck box, a missing mirror or two, and probably more.


It was a bit of an adventure, but thankfully, no one was hurt. It was just a mess. 

No comments:

Post a Comment